Today I will take a break from my series of Thursday Tools for investors. Rather, I want to think about the reasons I am thankful as an investor. I found a thought-provoking article by Sean Williams with the heading “11 Things Investors Can Be Thankful for on Thanksgiving Day“ (Sean Williams Nov 26, 2015)
While I think his article is a good reminder of the blessings we enjoy in the modern world, I will express my gratitude a bit differently. After that I will give you my list of benefits you can have as a prudent investor and manager of the good things God has given you. Thanksgiving implies there are reasons to be thankful. And if I am to be thankful, there must be a recipient of my thankfulness. I don’t say “thank you” to myself. I say it to the one who has given me something. In my case, I recognize that someone is God.
Here are five of the top blessings God has given me:
- God’s gracious, merciful and loving gift of salvation, payment for my sins, the righteousness of Christ, an everlasting inheritance, and a hope that lives beyond the grave. God is very generous even though we often fail to give thanks. Psalm 100:5 “For the Lord is good; his steadfast love endures forever, and his faithfulness to all generations.”
- A wonderful wife who is my best friend and the right compliment to help me and balance out the areas in my life where I need a good helper who is wise and loving. Proverbs 31:10-11 “An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels. The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain.”
- Some fantastic children and grandchildren. My quiver is full. Psalm 127:3-5 “Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one’s youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.” Proverbs 17:6 “Grandchildren are the crown of the aged, and the glory of children is their fathers.”
- Good health and long life. Many don’t live to be 67 years old and many who are my age have already faced health challenges far greater than the ones I have faced thus far. Psalm 103:10 “He does not deal with us according to our sins, nor repay us according to our iniquities.”
- Purpose for living. I don’t have to wonder “why am I here?” I know I am here to bring God glory, to love people and to serve them. Whatever I do should really make God look good, because he is good. 1 Corinthians 10:31 “So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.”
I am also thankful for some investment-related blessings. Here are my top three:
- The creation of electrons and electricity that enable the technology I use to research, monitor, buy and sell investments. This includes my laptop and the iPhone.
- The wisdom of the founders of the United States in creating laws that were designed to recognize a Creator who created everyone as an image of who He is. This means there is the potential for equality in opportunities. As the Declaration of Independence states, “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights…”
- Laws based on biblical guidelines and a standard of truth, fairness and goodness that are designed to protect owners, workers and investors.
LINK to Sean Williams’ 11 things investors can be thankful for: Thankful Investors